Sponsored by the Centennial Commission and Designated Founders’ Society 2020 Visionaries.
Zeta Teachers have an opportunity to win a complimentary June Centennial Registration
Scholarship is an ideal espoused by the Founders of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated in 1920 that remains at the forefront of engagement by members. As the Sorority plans for its Centennial Celebration in 2020, Mrs. Valerie Hollingsworth-Baker, the International President, continues to applaud the impact that professional educators, specifically teachers in the classroom, have had and continue to have in the lives of their students while remaining one of the lowest valued professions relative to pay. Zeta is choosing to honor our Founders by honoring FIVE Zeta classroom teachers with complimentary registration to the June 2020 celebration in Washington, D.C.
Zeta classroom teachers are eligible to compete for one of the five registrations by submitting 3-5 photos of their classroom decorated in royal blue and white. Entries can be submitted in one of three skill categories: Easy to replicate, Moderate difficulty to replicate, and Challenging with skills. At least one winner will be selected from each category and the five winning entries will be used to develop templates for teachers, administrators and other educators to decorate their work space on January 16, 2020.
The Centennial Classroom Challenge was envisioned by member Lillian Hemphill and members of the #ZetaEducators group. This Challenge is funded in part by the Centennial Commission and Founders’ Society 2020 Visionary Donors: Gina Merritt Epps, Esq., Atlantic Regional Director; Arlene MJ Taylor, Centennial Finance Director; Dr. Jylla Moore Tearte, 20th Past International President and Centennial Commission Chair; and Dr. Mary Breaux Wright, 24th Past International President.
Eligibility & Rules
- The challenge is open to Graduate and Undergraduate Members of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. who are Classroom Teachers in Preschool through High School that are:
- Financial with the sorority, and
- Assigned to a classroom
- Consider decorating bulletin board, desk, door, etc.
- Entry into the challenge is free – no cost or fees apply.
- All entries must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday, 9/9/2019.
- Participants must fill out and submit a complete contest entry form and include 3-5 Classroom Photos.
- Photos must only reflect the classroom; Photos of adults and/or children in the classroom are NOT permitted and will result in an automatic disqualification.
- Entries in the Centennial Blue and White Classroom Challenge can NOT:
- Display Sorority Paraphernalia
- Display Sorority Phrases, Logos, Symbols
- Use any other color except: Royal Blue and White with Light Blue, Black or Silver as an accent color.
- All entries in the Centennial Blue and White Classroom Challenge will be judged based on:
- Appearance – Is the design aesthetically pleasing?
- Originality – Is the room design unique?
- Clarity – Does the idea behind the design make sense?
- Presentation Quality – Does it Stand Out? Were you able to overcome the standard layout of desks and chairs in the classroom?
- Does it “fit” with the submitted skill level of: Simple, Moderate, Challenging.
- Adherence to Rules
Prize & Winner Notification
- A complimentary registration will be awarded to 5 teachers of the Centennial Blue and White Classroom Challenge.
- Winners will be notified upon selection via email and phone.
- Winners will be responsible for all additional June Celebration expenses (i.e. Lodging, Transportation, food expenses and incidentals) not included in the June Registration Fee.
- Challenge Participants agree to have one or more photos of their classroom on the Blue and White Centennial Classroom Webpage, Social Media postings, Sorority Emails and Publications.
- Challenge Participants agree there will be no compensation of any kind for Classroom Material, Media posting and/or publications.
Entry Submissions Accepted: 8/1/2019 through 9/9/2019
Winners Announced: 9/16/2019
Templates Released: 10/15/2019
Please thoroughly read the rules and instructions below. If you have any questions, contact the Centennial Blue and White Classroom Challenge Team at ClassroomChallenge@zphib2020.com.